Join Us As Make A Diy Box Truck Camper Tour Of Turdie The Beautiful Ford Econovan Truck!
Name of the Van:
Type of Van:
Box Truck High-roof
SHANNON AND TURDIE
“This is my freedom mobile!” – Shannon (talking about Turdie)
Shannon is a self employed artist who lives in her box truck camper conversion, Turdie. Technically van, a 1999 Ford Econovan, Turdie is now complete with air conditioning, power steering and a beautiful and unique artistic paint job. With the help of some friends, Shannon made this box truck camper conversion using recycled and repurposed furniture and materials. This is not only more friendly on the environment, it also gives an authentic gypsy feel.
Given that Turdie is so colourful, it’s not really a stealth mobile and turns heads wherever Shannon goes. This tiny home on wheels is perfect for keeping the comfort of home while travelling for work from one art project to another.
VANLIFE AS AN ARTIST
Living van life as an artist makes it easier to travel to different art projects all across the country.
HAVING HOME THAT’S MOBILE LETS ME STAY CLOSE TO WHEREVER I HAVE A PROJECT WHILE KEEPING THE COMFORTS OF HOME.
It’s like Mary Poppins bag!
A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST CHALLENGES TO LIVING VAN LIFE?
- I’d like to think there’s a solution for everything. It’s cold, I find a 12V blanket. It’s a hassle to wash your hair, I find dry shampoo.
- So I love thinking up solutions for things and I enjoy making it a comfortable beautiful home that I want to come back to and share with friends.
- In one aspect is connects me to other humans because I’m constantly meeting new people. But my old friends, maybe they don’t know where I am. So maybe they don’t call me because they don’t drive past my house anymore. They can’t just drop by.
WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT TRUCK LIFE?
- Being connected to nature. If it rains, I hear it. If it’s windy, I feel it. If the temperature drops at night, I need to put another blanket on.
- I can hear and feel the swell. I know when there’s waves because I’m right there.
- And if there’s a lightning storm at night I’m on the beach in the dark watching it.
- The ocean is my therapy, and such a place to connect with yourself and nature, it’s like a meditation – It’s essential.
- I can’t have that house with a view, but I can have that view whenever I want it. That’s so valuable!